Our Country Village hosts numerous historical buildings and exhibits throughout its grounds. The village has hosted events for over three decades, celebrating the community and its substantial history. We are ever in the process of evolving our displays to share artifacts with the public. Recent projects include the addition of the Newfane Garage, and the on-going restoration of the Yarb House and Post Office.
The village is open twice a year to the public for the society's Apple Festivals. The property is available for private rentals from May through October. Private tours are available with reservations- call 716-390-9679 (tours are led by a guide; not all buildings will be available or operating).
Our dedicated volunteers and members have contributed untold hours to create a myriad of exhibits throughout the property.
This handcrafted wooden shelter serves as the home for the popular Apple Harvest Festival staple. This requires members working long hours to ensure the tradition of slow and steady fruit butter creation remains.
A fully working 50hp 2-stroke engine from Bovaird & Seyfang. Built between 1934-1950 in Bradford, PA. Brought to Newfane Historical Society in the early 1990s by Chuck Manhardt & Harold Voelpel.
Barbering and dentistry co-existed for hundreds years, and only became separated professions in the 1800s. For small towns without established medical practices, the fields still co-existed for a time.
This machine shop is always busy during our Apple Festivals. Come inside and see various machinery humming and buzzing. Grab a corn cob and toss it into the largest to see first-hand the process of corn milling.
This unique site hosts reenactors who perform demonstrations and educational programs for guests.
Built by Jim & Renae Stauder, it serves as a replica of an early American crafted house. During festivals you can visit and see pioneer living in action.
Originally from the Bewley Canning Factory in Lockport, and built by the F.B. Pease Company of Rochester, NY. Restored by Bill Neidlinger, Sam Clogston and Bruce Genewich.
This beautiful gazebo is a wonderful centerpiece to private events held at the Country Village. During festivals it hosts various live performances.
Constructed in 2013, it's designed to house private events, along with dining guests at our festivals. It was built to honor longtime town historian and society member Jud Heck and his family.
Our Hydraulic Cider Press came from the Chestnut Grove Fruit Farm, a 200-acre fruit farm located east of Olcott, on Lake Road, owned by J.B. Chapman and Sons. The press is an “Orchard” Press, manufactured in Mt. Gilead, Ohio in the early 1900s. The juice capacity is 7-10 barrels per day.
Donated by John & Helen Hrvol in 1977, it came with the property that is now our Country Village. This museum hosts a large collection of artificats owned by the society.
Honoring the various auto shops and gas stations over the years, our garage was constructed in 2019 and contains a wonderful collection of automobile memorabilia and classic vehicles.
The shop is very popular during our Apple Festivals, with live demonstrations from very gifted blacksmiths. The building is named to honor William Ott, our chief blacksmith for many years.
The original Burt Post Office building, it is a display that honors the history of the postal service, using displays and activities to share the love of sending a letter.
One of the most popular exhibits on site. Enjoy first-hand experiences of the process of early printing, using ink, paper, printing blocks and colonial-styled printing presses.
Our 1920 Crompton & Knowles 180 D Power Loom is a wonderful machine lovingly maintained by society members. It came from the Lockport Felt Company, once a major business in Newfane.
Donated by John & Helen Hrvol. This building has an indoor space used for meetings and food service. The building has two attached food stands used during festivals and private events.
Donated by the Corwin Cemetery Association, it was remodeled from a shed by the society. It's designed as a tiny schoolhouse complete with artifacts and local school history.
Our country store, donated by Charles and Estelle Russell, was a storage building converted into an old time country store. Enjoy great products for sale, and even more on display as a general store museum.
The Yarb House has a wonderful display that allows visitors a deep connection to gardening and learn many uses for plants. It's name comes from an old southern term for medicinal plants, which was likely a slang variation of 'herb'.